San Polo di Piave
Today San Polo di Piave is a thriving community in north-eastern Italy, with great farming resources, especially wine-growing, with excellent grapes and red wine: Merlot, Cabernet and Raboso Piave. The present name of "San Polo di Piave" was acquired by Royal Decree of 10 November 1867. The enterprise of the previous generation of tenant farmers has contributed in recent years to the development of a large number of craft, commercial and industrial activities of great economic potential.
The inhabitants of San Polo are hard-working and active in sporting and cultural activities. There are many associations: mountaineering, tourism, football, roller skating, indoor sports, and a branch of the Third Age University. It is also host to and sponsor of the Gambrinus "Giuseppe Mazzotti" Literary Prize, whose secretariat is located in the town public library, which also houses the "Library of the River Piave" and an important collection of historic documents and photographs regarding the First World War.
The first settlements in the municipality of San Polo probably sprang up along the Roman road "Opitergium-Tridentum" that went from Oderzo (ancient Opitergium) through San Polo and on towards the hills. In 667 the Patriarch of Aquileia laid claim to four churches on the route to his Lombard palace of Pavia, and the name "San Polo del Patriarca" dates back to this period. The locality was considered strategic for crossing the River Piave to join the Postumia road. In the 14th century, after continuous wars, the temporal power of the Patriarch of Aquileia over the territory of San Polo declined, and it passed under the dominion of the Venetian Republic.
On 11 March 1452 Venice conceded the fiefs of San Polo and Aviano to Cristofaro da Tolentino, as a reward for the faithful services of the Tolentino family, who were freebooters at the head of a small mercenary army. Since there were no male heirs, the line died out in a few years and in 1506 the Venetian Senate granted the fief to the Gabrieli family, who held it for three centuries, emanating their own laws and statutes. With the death in 1805 of the last Count, who had been a State Inquisitor, the Gabrieli family also became extinct. By this time the Venetian Republic had fallen and the fief was purchased by the Vivante brothers, rich Venetian bankers, then by the Counts Papadopoli, and finally, in the 19th century, by the Giol family. On 26 June 1971 the cession of the farm land to its tenant farmers marked the end of the ancient fief of San Polo.